Saturday, January 20, 2007

Which is Harder: To Start or To Finish?

I'm coming to the end of a very big project. And I'm terrified. Thanks to a deadline I keep moving along inch by inch, otherwise I might run away in fear.

What is it with that? Every so often I get working long and hard on something only to run into a few road blocks and quit when I'm close to the end. Or I procrastinate it to death.

Starting is rarely difficult for me. When I get an idea for something it often distracts me away from my current project. I want to get started and I want to do it now! Even if I can only get a little piece going I'm satisfied to see it get under way. I'm learning to discipline myself in this and reward myself with a crack at a new thing only once a current one is put to bed.

How about you? Which is harder: starting a project or finishing one?

1 musings:

Unknown said...

Both - writing was a huge step for me to take, from the very beginning, and even when I faced chapters that weren't easy to write. But now that I've finished, I'm sad and listless and wandering around in a daze. As much as I wanted to finish, I'm sorry that the creative process is over and that these people who have been in my head are gone, at least for now. They drove me nuts, especially in the middle of the night when they would wake me up and demand that I take notes. But I like them and I'll miss them.