Friday, October 31, 2008

On the Brink of...

a great adventure! At least that's what I keep telling myself. You see, I decided it was time to keep a promise I made to myself a very long time ago. I promised that one day I would write a novel. Well, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I made that promise because I'm pretty sure it's impossible to write an entire novel in a day. So I'm fudging a little and instead I'm going to write a novel in a month. A whole novel. In one month.

I'm sure it sounds a bit nutty to some of you. Or a bit amazing to others. I liken it to running a marathon, except not so hard on the knees. It's the stuff we dream of or talk about or joke about, as in "yeah, maybe someday I'll write a novel". Thing is, someday doesn't ever seem to be today. So Chris Baty and the folks at NaNoWriMo (that's National Novel Writing Month for the uninitiated) offer up the opportunity to make the thirty days of November into that "someday". And this year I'm joining them.

If I can somehow get technology to cooperate, I hope to have a word-counter statistics graph posted here so you can keep track of my progress. The goal is 50,000 words by November 30th. If you do the math that's 1,667 words per day, or about one and a half hours of solid writing daily.

I'll be living large in the world of my characters during November. Chasing a dream. Hopefully I'll be one of those who makes it across the finish line. If not, I plan to have fun trying.

6 musings:

Unknown said...

I've thought about it, but I know I can't meet that goal. I'd feel like a big failure and give up three days in :-)

But YOU GO, GIRL!! I'm rootin' for ya!!

everydayMOM said...

That's awesome! Great goal. I can't wait to hear about your progress.

Just don't abandon your blog in the meantime. I'll miss you. =]

Llama Momma said...

So glad you're doing this too! (I don't like to be alone in my crazy.)

You can do this. Ready, set...go!

Michelle Gregory said...

best advice from this 2-time nano girl - have a ball. this is a great time to just cut loose and let characters do whatever they want. no rules, etc.

a few things about word count -

1- you can boost it by not using contractions (they can always be put back in when you do the 2nd draft).

2- be as wordy as possible. those words can always be taken out later. long descriptions are great.

3- if you feel like you have to delete whole passages, just change the font color to white or gray or use the strike-thru option. you won't really notice the words, but they'll still be counted.

best wishes on your crazy noveling adventure. i'll think of you while i'm editing (which is not nearly as much fun as far as i'm concerned).

Michelle Gregory said...

changed my mind. i started tonight. eldala sequel. yippee.

everydayMOM said...

thought this was interesting:
http://author2author.blogspot.com/2008/11/writing-goals.html

I've never even considered writing a novel and now I'm reading blogs about it. weird. =]