Monday, January 01, 2007

Reality Check for 2007

Happy New Year! It's a fresh year, new start, all that good stuff. Have you set any goals for this year yet? The uber-princess said last night that her goal for 2007 is to learn how to play Polly Pockets better. And you know what? I think she just might attain that goal.

I've set a few goals too, some maybe not as realistic as hers but worth considering anyway:
  1. Catch up on at least one daughter's scrapbook, preferably one of the ones containing photos only up until 2004. It was my goal last year, but at that point two of them only dated to 2002. I'm getting there.
  2. Go see at least one live play (no dead ones though). I enjoy seeing them. I sometimes enjoy writing them. I just don't do either often enough.
  3. Get my book published. Still waiting on those editors to respond.
  4. Keep Rhubarb the betta fish alive at least to 2008. So far, so good.
  5. Spend more time moving with my exercise videos, pint-sized naysayers or not.
There's more, but some I'm afraid I'll jinx by putting in print. Others aren't fully formulated yet. I do want to put in a small reality check here though. I think it's something worth considering on this first day of the year, to put things in perspective:
"Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." James 4:13-15

I don't know what will happen tomorrow or this year. I'm excited to set goals and work toward them, but I also acknowledge that it's not for me to determine. There will be detours and pit stops along the way. And I want to be prepared when they come. Lord willing, I'll check back on this list in December and find I've done things I'd never planned and learned things I hadn't expected. I'll bet I'll play a lot of Polly Pockets to help my daughter achieve her goal. And maybe, just maybe, I'll have gotten a scrapbook up to date.

0 musings: