Tuesday, October 02, 2007

A Rush Hour Chuckle

About a week or so ago I had occasion to travel through our fair "city" during the evening rush hour. I was only making a short trip, but the long wait at stoplights was starting to get on my nerves (surprise, surprise). Then while I was waiting in a particularly long backup I noticed a movement of yellow in the window of a car a little ahead of me on the right. I watched the car carefully. There it was again!

At that moment traffic ahead of me moved slightly. I inched forward too, straining to see inside the car. When I got up far enough I could see it clear as day: an older gentleman, plaid fedora on his head, with a tiny white-haired woman in the passenger seat beside him. He was busily shaking a pair of maracas, apparently in time to some music. The steering wheel didn't seem to impede him in any way. And the traffic delay stole little of his joy. He just merrily shook those bright yellow maracas, barely pausing when the traffic moved along.

I sat watching him, chuckles bubbling up inside me, glad for the rush hour delay. I enjoyed this soundless concert for two whole traffic light waits. Then, still laughing to myself, I had to continue on my way. What a delightful moment where rush hour became something to enjoy.

5 musings:

Craver Vii said...

Thank you for reporting this. We have been able to apprehend that couple, and they are now being institutionalized.

Have a moderate day.

Jennwith2ns said...

That's so . . . cool. I'm not sure which detail is more awesome--yellow maracas or a plaid fedora.

Lara said...

Craver-Sigh. Now who will brighten the rush hour for Napervillians (not to be confused with Naper-villans)?

Jenn-I think the two details together conspired to make it fantastically awesome.

L.L. Barkat said...

Ah yes. I must remember to keep a pair of maracas in the car!

Unknown said...

Now there's a lesson we can all learn - enjoy waiting in traffic. We're not in control of life, so why not enjoy it?

Regarding a comment you posted to my blog about book promotion... I have a request. Would you please email me?

bjasmom123@aol.com