Friday, June 06, 2008

What's Everyone in a Twitter About?

So I'm noticing Twitter showing up on more and more blogs these days. Whether people are Twitterpated by it or not, is up for grabs. But I'm thinking to myself, now is this something I want to do? After all, it's summer and every minute I'm online is a minute I'm not hanging out with my kids. Which only works to a certain degree. Then it's time to fully engage.

So what about the whole concept of micro blogging? It certainly has it's place. It might be much easier to throw up a quick 140-character post about what I'm up to. But who wants to know that much? Twitter's selling point is connection with friends and family about what goes on in between blog posts. Do you really want to know? I mean I can tell you now that I eat, sleep, cook, do laundry, write a little, cook, do laundry and so on.

I'm thinking it's best at a social interface level. So far I've only seen a few bloggers using Twitter and few in my "inner circle" of blogging friends. Until more of those sign up I think I'm off the hook. But it's gaining popularity and it may be only a matter of time whether I seriously "Twitter" (or "Plurk")... or not.

Any thoughts on Twitter?

7 musings:

Anonymous said...

Hi - from a fellow future SheSpeaks attendee!

Great summary of Twitter. I totally agree. I am trying to figure out how to get the widget for it on my blog while still deciding whether I actually care. Amazingly it is kinda fun. But, I agree. . . NOT one more thing to keep up with!

See you in two weeks!

Lisa B @ simply His said...

I asked on my blog a few weeks ago what's TMI for Twitter. I've been using it and following some people, but honestly some of the people are a little spammy -- trying to sell me their services or affiliate products. I'm just not up for that.

I guess you just need to be careful who you follow. Now I'm hearing about Plurk? And I just don't know what to think. I'm spending too much time online and not enough living life :)

Llama Momma said...

I can't figure out what the attraction is -- for posting or reading. It's big, though.

Sometimes I call a friend in the afternoon and we chat about nothing -- trips to the grocery store, how many loads of laundry we need to fold or put away, what we're making for supper tonight. There's a comraderie to this kind of banal sharing that I appreciate.

Maybe it's like that? Or maybe it's just TMI...

Lara said...

Sarah - glad I got the Twitter thing right with my limited knowledge. It will be interesting to see what kind of pull it has. I hope to meet you next week!

Lisa - thanks for the heads up on the spammy side of things. And too much time online? At least with Twitter you have to get off occasionally to do something in order to have something to post (hey, maybe that might work...).

Llama Momma - Do you think talking on the phone about the little stuff is maybe more satisfying by virtue of being more relational? I think I'd rather shoot the breeze about it with a friend than fire it off into the blogosphere....I'm just saying (and don't quote me in another month or two when I'm hooked on Twitter, 'kay?).

Anonymous said...

love it... twitter that is follow me alyssaavant by the way I'll be at she speaks.

Lara said...

Alyssa - glad to hear from someone who favors Twitter. So what about it makes you love it?

L.L. Barkat said...

You make me laugh. Why, of course we want to know when you are doing laundry. Especially if you are telling how you sort colors, what soap you use and if your socks have static cling. :)