Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Party At the Dentist's Office

Can I tell you something? I like the dentist's office. Oh, not my dentist's office. Not at all! No, I'm talking about my kid's dentist. Ever since they started going there it's been an appointment I look forward to. Do you know why? It is an hour of uninterrupted Mom Time.

It's not such a big deal to me now. With my three kids in school at least part of the time, I get Mom Time often enough. But back when they were smaller, I felt like the only time I ever got a break from mommy duty was when the little darlings were asleep, and frankly by then I was too tired to notice. But then they got old enough for the dentist -- all three of them. And what a day that was! I actually counted down the months until that appointment arrived. Yes, during their younger years Mommy time was often so sorely lacking that any trip to the pediatric dentist truly made me want to celebrate. Really and truly.

If that concept rubs you wrong and you want to call me a bad mom, go ahead. I actually hear those kind of comments (indirectly) often enough. I'm also the mom who sends her kids to public school and cheers when Summer (or Winter or Spring) break is over. I love my girls. A lot. And I enjoy being with them. But I also really, really need time to myself. And I guess if that is what it takes to make a bad mom, then I am one.

For the record: as bad a mom as I am, I still make them brush every morning and every night. It's way cheaper to pay a babysitter than the dentist.

5 musings:

Llama Momma said...

You know I can relate...so if you're a bad mom, so am I!!!

Sarah said...

Me, too.

Always a Southern Girl said...

When I was a kid I could never understand why my Mama would be so glad when school started up after summer break. Now, I know and I am not ashamed to admit it. I am glad when they are in school.

I guess I am a bad mom too. :)

Mommy24cs said...

I have an appointment on wed and that's my "me" time. How sad is it that I look forward to going to the dentist for myself lol!

Envelope Printing said...

I'm sure everyone needs some time for themselves, that's hardly being selfish or being a bad mom. Getting some time to yourself once in a while will probably make you an even better mom! You'll be able to relax, refresh, and take on the following mommy duties with renewed vigor.